12 Dec SMP Board commits to tackling scourge of scam mail
The SMP Board, on behalf of its members, has unanimously agreed to adhere to the Royal Mail Wholesale’s Code of Practice regarding scam mail.
Scam mail is sent with the sole intention of obtaining money through deception and/or fraud and can come to you by phone, email or post.
There are many different types of scams such as fake lotteries and prize draws, get-rich-quick schemes, bogus health cures, investment scams and pyramid selling.
The Code of Practice, unanimously signed by Royal Mail Wholesale contract holders and the SMP board members:
- Will actively work together, and with law enforcement agencies, to tackle the scourge of scam mail.
- Will move quickly to proactively share intelligence on scam mailings with each other as well as the details of any suspect mailings.
- Will terminate any mailing identified by law enforcement agencies as being used to attempt to scam the recipients.
- Will ensure that each company’s standard terms and conditions contain an appropriate clause, consistent across the industry, to enable us to clamp down even harder on scam mailings.
- Will work with the broader communications community and law enforcement agencies to work to prevent scams perpetrated against the public, whether it is through letters, electronic communications, telephone calls or other means.
The SMP is committed raising standards in the mailing industry and promoting better mail for all. For more information about scam mail, please visit: https://www.royalmail.com/dealing-with-scam-mail